Chin Implant Removal
Chin implants are widely popular among patients seeking an improvement in chin projection or those who wish to achieve a more sculpted jawline and side-profile after rhinoplasty. Although newer solid silicone chin implants have low risk profiles, older chin implants may require removal or revision. Chin implant revision is relatively straightforward in patients wishing to completely remove their implants; and becomes more complicated when complications have developed after chin implant surgery. The most common causes of chin implant removal are the following:
- Asymmetry: Either an implant is placed asymmetrically, or the underlying bone of the chin is asymmetric. If the difference is noticeable, a revision chin implant may be necessary.
- Bone Resorption: Loss of a viable periosteum may compromise bone integrity and lead to bone breakdown.
- Displacement: Movement of a chin implant occurs as a result of scar tissue or infection. It may be necessary to revise the implant pocket and shift the chin implant to a more suitable position.
- Extrusion: Implants may shift position and extrude through the skin, making them more noticeable. Removal is key.
- Infection: Chin implants have a finite risk of infection, especially those that have undergone surgery through an intraoral incision.
- Nerve Compression: If there is any doubt that a chin implant is compressing on a nerve, the implant should be removed and repositioned.
Nose Implant Removal
Nasal implants are placed along the dorsal bridge of the nose, primarily to enhance the lateral profile and projection of the nasal bridge. Most implants are made of a flexible silicone material that can become infected, extrude through the skin, or shift around and become misplaced. Dr. Karamanoukian specializes in the removal of the silicone implants and correction of the resulting loss of structural support.
Our plastic surgery office specializes in the reversal of facial fillers with Hyaluronidase injections or surgical removal. The most common complaints seen with facial fillers include swelling, asymmetry, undesired cosmetic result, infection, and allergic reaction. Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian is a leading authority on the surgical removal of liquid silicone injections from the face.
If you have an undesired reaction to Juvederm, Restylane, Voluma, or Belotero; Dr. Karamanoukian can treat the filler with hyaluronidase or Vitrase in order to dissolve the HA filler without surgery. Once absorbed, the lips can be further corrected with Venus Viva to tighten the skin after filler removal.
Removal of PDO Threads
PDO Thread Lifts are barbed absorbable sutures that can lift soft tissue and suspend the underlying structural support of the face and body. As a medical spa procedure, PDO threads are increasingly popular treatments that obviate the need for surgery. Although a less-invasive procedure, PDO threads can cause complications, with asymmetry being the dominant problem. Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian is a specialist in PDO thread removal or revision, particularly in the setting of infection, soft tissue reaction, nerve damage, or scarring.